The types of strings to choose from is extremely vast and can vary due to availability, scale length of the instrument and tuning/timbre of sound desired. S
Some points to remember when selecting strings for your Lap Steel Guitar are as follows:
- Strings can be stretched only so far before breaking to achieve a note (Tuning/string pulling technique)
- Steel strings are used as Nylon strings WILL NOT produce a sustained note.
- The best gauge strings will be closer to the desired note/tuning and stay in tune longer
- Quality of string means it will need to be changed less often. “Buy Cheap buy Twice” Rule stands
- Type of string produces less “noise” – scraping sound of the bar across the strings.
- Strings need to be looked after and cleaned regularly with a cloth.